Category: Monasteries - Churches
Region: Chania Prefecture

The Holy Monastery of the Life - Giving Spring – Chrysopigi

The Holy Patriarchal and Stavropegic Monastery of Chrysopigi lies a short distance from the town of Chania on the route to Suda harbour. It was founded in the middle of the 16th century in the last period of Venetian rule in Crete.

Monastery of Agia Triada Tzagarolon

The monastery of Agia Triada of Tzagarolon is one of the richest and most beautiful monasteries in Crete. It is built near the airport of Chania, in the position Tzobomylos of the Cape Melecha and at the foothills of Stavros Mount. The distance from Chani

Gouverneto Monastery

The actual Monastery complex was built from 1537 till 1548. According to tradition, it was connected with miraculous St John the Hermit, and was used for the housing of the Saint' s pilgrims.

Katholiko Monastery in Akrotiri

Katholiko monastery is located 20km east of Chania, near the northern shores of Cape Akrotiri. It is located near the exit of the gorge Avlaki, at a short distance from the sea.

Moni Odigitrias Gonias

Gonia Monastery was built in the first half of the 17th century, a short distance north of the town Kolymbari. A short distance west, on a hill, saved the church and ruins of the cells of the original monastery.

Monastery of Panagia Chrisoskalitisa

The monastery of Panagia Chrisoskalitissa is located 72km south of Chania, very close to the magnificent lagoon of Elafonissi. It operates as a nunnery and reminds of a fortress, perched on a 35m high rock with boundless sea views.

Monasteries of Peninsula Spathas Rodopou

Built at the beginning of the peninsula Spatha, near the road to the ancient Diktynaio, the settlement seems to thrive from early Venetian. In isolated places inaccessible hinterland of small temples are built, transformed into monasteries during the 15th

Monastery of St John the Baptist

The Monastery of St John the Baptist, is located on the Akrotiri peninsula, east of Chania, in the direction of the airport. This is now called Akrotiri peninsula, while previously bore the name Meleha or beans. Akrotiri played an important role in the hi

Monastery of Agios Charalambos

South of the old christian basilica of St Nikitas is built the small monastery of St Haralambos. The cave is almost circular with a diameter of 50 m. Its height is up to 20 m at certain points. Its entrance has an opening of 25 m and on its left edge is t

The Monastery of Saint George in Karydi

The Monastery of Saint George in Karydi (in Apokoronas Province) is located about 2km east of Vamos village. The monastery was abandoned for many years but was restored in 1996 and today it is operating normally. The monastery is the unique of Apokoronas

Monastery of Pazinos

It is a complex of monasteries built during the Venetian rule (16th century). It architectural style is western, the church being placed in the centre of the complex.

Church of Archangelos Michael of Aradena

The Church of Michael Archangelos in the currently uninhabited settlement of Aradena Sfakion, was built at the beginning of the 14th century in the place of the middle part of one of the two old christian basilicas which exist at the seat of the bishopric

St. George of Mythimna - Kisamos

The single - room, vaulted church of St George in the archeological site of Methymna, near Drapania of Kisamos, was built during the first half of the 15th century, in the place of a late Roman Bath.

Church of Agios Nikolaos

The church is built in the 11th century. The dome was added in the mid - 13th century by Constantinos Spanis and at the same time the interior was decorated with wall paintings representing two different styles.

Holy Monastery of Zoodochou Pigis

In Alikianos, in Chania, is the great Monastery of Zoodochou Pigis or Sun St. John by the name of founder John the Hermit. Built around 1030. In a short time with the construction of the church was added to the western part of the temple tripartite narthe

Early Christian Basilica at Almyrida Apokoronou

It is an early christian church of the second half of the 6th century, located in Almyrida in Chania. On the central aisle, one can see the mosaic floor. From 1974 till 1989 the 13th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities organized an excavation on the site.

Church of St. George (Georgioupoli)

The church of St George in the centre of Kournas, in Chania, is a settlement with interesting folk architecture. It was built at the end of the 12th century. In around 1230 was added in the south the single-room, wood roofed part of Christ.

Paleochristian Basilica of St Nikitas

About 300 m northeast of the fortress of Frangokastello, is situated the small one - room church of St Nikitas. It is built on the ruins of an old christian basilica, the walls of which and its mosaic floor are preserved around the church.