Category: Archaeological Sites
Region: Lassithi Prefecture


The town and palace of Zakros are at the southeast end of Crete. In Minoan times the region would have been difficult of access because the mountains of Siteia cut it off from the rest island. The bay of Zakros is one of the safest anchorages in eastern C


Gournia is a small Minoan settlement in east Crete, 19 km southwest of Agios Nikolaos. It was completely excavated by H.A. Boyd Hawes between 1901 and 1904. The low hill on which it stood controlled the roads from Central to east Crete and it was also clo

Windmills at Seli Ambelou - Lassithi Plateau

The most remarkable set of windmills that survives in Crete today is located in Seli Ambelou in the Lassithi Plateau. It is situated at the northern entrance of the Plateau and it is the "trademark" of the area.

Vasiliki Ierapetra

The settlement of Vasiliki is one of the first Minoan settlements with town-planning. It occupies the top and slopes of a low hill near the village Vasiliki, in the vicinity of the Minoan settlement of Gournia. The first settlement dates back to the Early

Kriopotamos Bridge at Myrtos

North of Myrtos, on the way to Mournies, where river Kriopotamos flows (in the summer the river is dry) there is a bridge, from the built-in inscription of which we learn that it was built in 1884.

Oval House of Hamezi

The building complex that was discovered on a hill (altitude about 500 from the surface of the sea) known as "Souvloto Mouri", opposite Hamezi of Siteua, dates back to the Middle Minoan IA period

Municipal fountain of Houmeriakos

The fountain in the central square of the settlement Houmeriakos that is known as the Square of the Fountain or the Square of St George (after the homonymous small church). Northwest of the fountain and at a small distance from it there is a well and a pu

Koufonisi Island

(The Theatre))At the northeastern end of Koufonisi, opposite the Marmara islet, and at a small distance from the beach, excavations have brought to light a well preserved stone-built theatre; the cavea had twelve rows of seats and a capacity of c. 1000 pe

Fountains of Kritsa

The settlement Kritsa of the Municipality of Agios Nikolaos is one of the most important semi-mountainous traditional settlements of Crete. The three community springs that are located there "and the cobbled road " at the position Chaniotera have been


Lato was one of the most important Doric city-states in Crete, although it must have existed before the "Descent of the Dorians". It is built on a saddle between two hills, at a site protected by possible attacks but also with a splendid view over Mirambe

Minoan Villa of Makri Gialos

The wonderful position, in which the village Makri Gialos is located,thirty threekm (33) south of Siteia on the Lybian Sea, was used by the Minoans and important traces of habitation have been found.

Temple of Mars and Aphrodite at Lenika

In a flat area near the modern settlement Ellinika, between Agios Nikolaos and Elounta, at the border between the ancient city-states Lato and Olous, was located a very old sanctuary dedicated to Aphrodite, the «ancient Aphrodision» of the inscriptions of


At the northernmost edge of the eastern coast of Crete lie the ruins of a settlement which flourished during the Late Minoan period (1550-1220 B.C.). At the same site, however, remains of the Early and Middle Minoan periods (3000-1550 B.C.) are preserved

Old Primary School of Lithini

The Old Primary School of Lithinoi - Siteia has been characterised a historical monument because it is a very interesting building from 1920. The building is in the central square of the village, it has panoramic view and dominates the surrounding area.


On a low hill (h. 40 m.) by the sea lies an important Minoan settlement. It had a large harbour and was the centre of an area bordered by Chamaizi on the west, Praisos on the south, and Analoukas on the east.

Roman Villa of Makri Gialos

Thirty (30)km east of Ierapetra and thirty three km (33) south of Siteia, on the souths road axis Siteia-Ierapetra, is located Makri Gialos and the Lybian Sea. It was named after the long sandy beach that exists there.


At the northern entrance of Elounda Bay, at a key-position for the control of the natural harbour, is located the islet of Spinalonga, with an area of 8,5 ha and an altitude of 53 m. The island was fortified in the antiquity, possibly in the Hellenistic p

Casarma Fortress

The Venetian fortress of Siteia was constructed in the 13th century in the position of the byzantine city, which was the seat of a bishopric. Possibly this was also the position of the ancient city Iteia or Siteia.