Category: Archaeological Sites
Region: Heraklion Prefecture


Malia is 37 km east of Herakleion on the edge of a fertile plain and close to the sea, very necessary for the development of agriculture and of nautical and commercial activities.


The palace of Knossos was the most important of the palaces of Crete, and the seat of the first king among equals of the island, Minos, whose name has been given to the whole of the 3rd and 2nd c. BC Minoan civilization.


Phaistos is located in the western part of the Mesara, the most fertile plain in Crete, and south of the famous river Yeropotamos, the ancient Lethaios. The palace of Phaistos was built on the easternmost of the three hills that stretch between the mounta

Agia Triada

Agia Triada is close to Phaistos and the sea, with a view towards Mt Ida. It was the summer residence of the king of Phaistos. Excavation were carried out from 1902 to 1944 by the Italian Archaeological School and resumed in 1976.


Archanes is 15 km southeast of Herakleion. They are famous for its grapes, lush vegetation and its waters, whose source is Mt Youktas, to the west of the modern village.


The first habitation in the area of Paliochora (Amnissos) dates back in the Middle Minoan period (19th century B.C.). The site is mentioned as a-mi-mi-so in the Linear B tablets. The Minoan "Villa of the Lilies" was destroyed by fire in the 15th century B


The ruins of the ancient city of Gortys with its acropolis and necropolis extend in an area of about 1.000 acres, from the hills Ai-Giannis, Volakas and Prophitis Ilias in the north to the villages Agioi Deka and Metropolis in the south.

Idaion Antron

At the Nida Plateau, on an altitude of 1538 m. exists “the Cave of the shepherdess”, the cave where according to mythology, Zeus, the father of the mortals and the gods was raised (or born).

Minoan Villa of the Lilies

A luxurious two-storey house of the style of Minoan villas, it was built on limestone stanchions at the position "Paliohora" (Amnisos). It has a chamber with"multiple doors", a bathroom, staircases and stone-paved rooms.

Temple of Asclepios at Levinou

The temple of Asclepios is situated on the northwestern edge of the sanctuary. It has an eastern orientation and the walls of the cella are built with clay blocks and are coated with white marble.


The houses of Tylisos were built in the Late Minoan I period (16th-15th century B.C.). Extensions were made to House A in the Late Minoan II period (15th-14th centuries B.C.) and to the House C during the Late Minoan III period (14th century B.C.).