Holy Monastery of Zoodochou Pigis

In Alikianos, in Chania, is the great Monastery of Zoodochou Pigis or Sun St. John by the name of founder John the Hermit. Built around 1030. In a short time with the construction of the church was added to the western part of the temple tripartite narthex. The lateral parts of the prosthesis are covered by vaults and the median of elevated oven. During the 14th century the groin southeast collapsed and was rebuilt in its place semicylindrical vault supported on built pier. In the 15th century may be dated to the reconstruction of the southwestern doorway of the church with a pointed arch.

Internal surfaces covered wall paintings in two layers. The initial layer, dating to the 11th century, recently revealed during maintenance in the northeastern corner apartment. Although the conservation status is not very good, the work is a highly qualified craftsman. Forms pictured standing, healing saints frontal walls and barriers to cross vault.

The church was preserved in old ruins and restored state initially roughly by residents and then, around 1950, from academia A. Orlandos.

During excavation work, held inside and outside the perimeter of the temple, where they revealed a Middle Byzantine cemetery use from the 11th to the 19th century.